Senegalese President Rules Out Third Term Bid

Add a Comment 51 Views
2 Min Read

Macky Sall on Monday said he will not seek a third term bid ahead of the Senegalese 2024 Presidential Election, ended months of tense uncertainty.

His announcement paves the way for open elections in the West African country.

Until yesterday, it was not known if the 61 year old will run for a third term in office, stoking tensions on if he would use a constitutional revision to argue extending the country’s traditional two-term maximum.

- Advertisement -
Ad image

In a televised broadcast, he said “my dear fellow citizens, my decision after long consideration is to not be a candidate in the election on February 25, 2024.

“Senegal is more than me, and is full of capable leaders for the country’s development”.

He said he prioritises his country’s progress “in particular, at a time of social-economic difficulties and uncertainties”.

Sall was elected President in 2022 on a seven-year term and in 2019 for a five-year term, following a constitutional revision of the presidential tenure.

Senegal’s constitution only allows for two terms but, Sall’s supporters had argued the counter had been reset to zero, thanks to the 2016 revision.

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Before becoming President of Senegal, Sall had previously campaigned against a third term bid by his predecessor, Abdoulaye Wade, who was in power from 2000 to 2012.

On the eve of his nationwide address, his fiercest critic, Ousmane Sonko, had urged the public to “come out en masse” and oppose him.

Deadly clashes erupted last month between Sonko supporters and the security forces, claiming at least 16 lives.

Share This Article
Leave a comment